Thursday, March 15, 2012

Wide Open Spaces

A couple of weekends ago, my brother-in-law and I went camping at Joshua Tree National Park. It was pretty great to get away from the concrete jungle for a little while. I think the last time I went camping was probably over 10 years ago.

We were planning to go for two nights, but the desert night + early March = DAMN COLD! So we ended up going a long way for only one night. But it was still worth it. We did some sweet rock scrambling (half way between hiking/hill walking and rock climbing). Check here for more info.

      Scott climbing to the top of a mountain                                                        This is me on my way up

                      Scott heading back down                                                             Panoramic view of the mountains

The view from the top was amazing, but the best part - complete quiet. I mean nothing. Not only no city noise (obviously) but I mean *no* noise whatsoever. No people noise, no wildlife noise, and even no noise from the wind. It was kind of weird, yet tranquil and welcome. I guess you don't realize all the sounds that are around you until they're not there anymore.

Here are some more random pictures of the trip and the hikes we did:

        The campsite (we had a good location!)                                              Relaxing by the campfire at night

 I thought this picture would make a good screen saver                                                    Skull Rock

                       Me near some Joshua Trees                                                                          Some native rock paintings

                          An abandoned building                                                              I guess we parked in the wrong spot!

Overall, it was pretty fun to be out of the city and in the fresh air for a while. Hopefully I'll get to do this again soon!

1 comment:

  1. I love Joshua Tree, though I haven't been there for years. Once I went to a monastery in Northern Cali and it was SO quiet that it felt like the silence was pressing against your ears. Very strange feeling.

    ReplyDelete